What are the URL format guidelines?
Below are guidelines for entering URLs when configuring policies or settings in the admin portal.
- Enter URLs in lowercase letters only. (Type www.safemarch.com, and not www.Safemarch.com.)
- The URL must not contain the protocol schema (that is, do not type http://www.safemarch.com; instead, just type www.safemarch.com).
- A leading period (“.”) functions as a wildcard to the left of the named URL up to five subdomain levels deep. Thus, the entry .example.com also applies to:
- whitelists atlanta.example.com and serv3.serv2.serv1.atlanta.example.com
In the absence of a leading period, the stated domain/subdomain entry must match exactly.
- Wildcard characters (such as an asterisk) addressing the right side of a stated URL are not explicitly used; they are always assumed. Thus the URL entry “www.safemarch.com” will apply to:
However, if you want to categorize a specific file or directory under the root domain (for example, “mydomain.com/resources/” or “mydomain.com/resources/ftp.htm”), please note the following:
- www.mydomain.com/resources/ftp.htm (with no trailing forward-slash) will match the exact string.
- www.mydomain.com/resources/ (with trailing forward-slash) will match any file or directory underneath it.