Analyzing Traffic Using Insights
To get more information about a chart in a dashboard or report, click an item on the chart and click Analyze Chart. The chart is displayed in an Analytics > Insights window where you can interactively drill down to specific transactions. For example, from a company’s Productivity Loss trend, you can identify the top users of social networking sites and other URLs in the Productivity Loss class, and then review their logs. Alternatively, you can start an analysis by going to the Analytics tab and choosing an Insights window. Following is an example of the Web Insights window.
The Insights windows provide the following options for displaying metrics about your organization's Internet traffic:
- Choose a data type from the menu above the chart. You can scroll through the list or use the Search function and select a data type.
For certain data types, you can choose to view the top 5, 10, 25, 50 or 100 items. For example, you can view the top 5 or 100 domains that were visited by your users. This option is available in bar charts and tables only.
- View the data as Transactions, Bytes, Sessions, Samples, and Time (for Domain and URL Host only).
- Change the chart type.
- View logs. See Viewing Web and Mobile Logs or Viewing Firewall and DNS Logs.
Click Logs, optionally set the time frame and filters, and then click Apply Filters. Note that after you change the time frame or filters, you must always click Apply Filters to view the logs. To go back to viewing data in a chart, click Start Over.
- Choose a time frame.
You can choose a predefined time frame or click Custom to set your own start and end dates and times. After you set the time frame, click Apply Filters.
- Define filters. (See Web Data Types and Filters, Firewall Data Types and Filters, DNS Data Types and Filters, Mobile Data Types and Filters or Email Data Types and Filters.)
After you define filters, click Apply Filters.
Interactively Drilling Down
There are a number of ways to interactively drill down.
- Narrow down the scope of the data by applying filters. For example, to see the URL Classes of a department, apply the Department filter. Each data type has its own set of filters.
- Get more information about a specific item in a chart. Hover and click it, and then choose a data type. For example, to see which departments accessed URLs in the Bandwidth Loss class, click the Bandwidth Loss bar and choose Department from the list of data types.
- View logs for a specific item in the chart. Hover and click it, and then choose View Logs.
- View logs represented by the entire chart, click Logs on the left pane and click Apply Filters.
Each change is reflected in the chart displayed on the right pane. As you edit the chart, your workflow is recorded in the History Bar.
Starting a New Analysis
You can also start a new analysis or change the focus of your investigation, as follows:
- Choose a different data type from the menu at the top. This automatically resets the filters.
- Click Start Over to go back to the default chart. The data type menu above the chart is set to Overall Traffic, filters are reset, and all charts, except the default, are deleted from the History Bar.
- Click Back to Original to go back to a dashboard or report.
Saving your Analysis
As you work with your data, the tool records the workflow in the History bar below the chart. Every time you make a change to the chart, such as add a filter or change the chart type, the portal adds the previous version to the History bar. You can then click any chart in the History Bar to see it again. If you view an earlier version and change it, all subsequent versions are automatically deleted. This enables an administrator to review the various stages of the investigation and change direction for the analysis upon review, if necessary. The History Bar can retain up to 50 versions of the chart. If there are more than 50 versions, the portal deletes the oldest versions as new ones are added. The chart icons are numbered, so you can track how many versions you have.
You can do the following:
- Delete charts from your workflow.
- Click Print View to print the entire sequence of charts in the History bar.